About Me

My photo
Ben D. Bacon is a photographer/writer in the South Florida area who does portfolios, landscape, architectural, and event photography.

About this blog

Welcome, My name is Ben Bacon. On this blog I will be showcasing my photography of south Florida and the world. I'll also be reviewing and commenting on all things photographic.Please feel free to comment and I'll try to keep it as interesting as possible.And remember it's another day in paradise.
Note: All images are available as high quality prints up to 24x36 in.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Working around harsh lighting in Photoshop

 My wife and I went to the Boys Toys exhibition at Hard Rock yesterday. It ran from 12 to 5 which is a rough time for photography due to the sun being directly overhead creating harsh shadows. I had not brought a flash unit which would have helped ( I'll cover using flash as fill light in bright sunlight in a future blog). I was, however, able to compensate most of the time by adjusting in - camera settings. There were some shots that I thought were good compositions upon review that had too many shadows. Luckily there is Photoshop!

 Here is a before and after of my wife posing with the Miami Dolphins mascot and two cheerleaders:














 This was a simple fix. I merely had to adjust the exposure settings for the entire image and we were set.

 The next one is a little more complicated.These girls passing out ice tea samples had hats that created harsh shadows across their faces:





























 In this case, I used the quick selection tool and selected around each one of their faces, then added a new exposure adjustment layer and adjusted just their faces.

Here is another example where, using the same technique of selection and adjusting exposure, I adjusted these two ladies whole bodies while leaving the rest of the image untouched.






























 There are times when bright overhead sunlight is helpful as in the following shots:







 And, finally, Here is a shot of the beautiful Lauren of the Miami Dolphins Cheerleaders.
 No photoshop needed.




Until the next time, remember it's another day in paradise and keep shooting.







1 comment:

  1. I really am enjoying your blog. looking to be alot of info on ideas on how to take pictures

    ReplyDelete